Origins of gas production
In 1910, while digging a drainage channel on his land, Jan Medlen, a local farmer from Gbely, encountered flammable gas leaking from the ground. He managed to construct a primitive reservoir and a brick conduit to supply his house with this gas, which he used not only for heating, but also to forge iron. The conduit was linked to a fireplace to ensure continuous ventilation through the chimney. However, one day in 1914, the gas accumulated in the house to a point where it formed a priming composition and caused an explosion which blew the farmer’s house to smithereens and jeopardized the operation of a nearby railway track. Initial exploration drilling operations in Gbely started shortly afterwards, on October 28th of the same year, under the supervision of A. Thone, using a then modern drilling rig, Trauzl-Rapid. The drillers expected to find only natural gas in the area. The first traces of gas were encountered at a mere depth of 114 meters and the first local oil-bearing formation was drilled at 163.8 m.
1919 - 1955
The first commercially viable oil deposit in the Czech Republic was discovered below the dried-out Nesyt Pond in 1919. Based on observations of natural oil and gas seeps, the first 217 meter-deep exploration well was situated in the old streambed of the Morava River. Recoverable crude oil accumulations were discovered at the end of 1919 and an oil production license was subsequently awarded to Moravská těžební společnost (Moravian Oil Company). Drilling operations continued until the beginning of the 1960s.
1939 - 1945
World war II
During the Second World War, the region became strategically important for Nazi Germany. The largest German oil company, DeutscheErdölA.G., operated over 1,200 wells in the vicinity of Hodonín at that time. The oil refineries, including refineries in Litvínov, Bratislava (Apollo refineries), Dubová, Kralupy nad Vltavou, Kolín and Pardubice (operated by Fanto Werke) were later bombed by the Allies.
1946 - 1991
In January 1946, all existing oil refineries and wells situated in the Czech part of former Czechoslovakia were consolidated under Československé naftové závody (ČNZ). In 1948, ČNZ was employing 1,858 workers. In 1958, ČZN merged with a Slovakian oil company to form Moravské naftové doly. The Slovakian section of the company broke away from Moravské naftové doly in 1990.
1990 - 2010
Following the societal changes of 1989, the Slovakian part of the company separated and the concern was transformed into a Joint Stock Company, with its shares divided between Slovenský plynárenský priemysel, E.ON.Rhugas and KKCG Group. After 1990, the company expanded its operations abroad, namely into the Near East, Northern Africa and countries of the former Soviet Union. The company is primarily engaged in oil and gas exploration and production, development of underground gas storage facilities and the provision of well maintenance and workover services.
2014 - 2015
MND Group includes MND Drilling & Services and MND Gas Storage, its subsidiaries. MND Group operates a crude oil receiving terminal in the Russian Federation under the brand of MND Oil Terminal Samara. MND Georgia holds shares in production and exploration licenses in Georgia. MND Group invests in other companies, holding capital interests in VEMEX and MD Drilling.